Japanese Artist Keeps Hand Tattoo Tradition Alive

While many young artists fail to master the art of what is know as “tebori” (hand tattooing) in Japan, one man is still going strong, despite the practice dying off with his peers.

Oguri Kazuo, known professionally as Horihide, has tattooed everyone from gangsters to geishas. The 79-year-old started out as an apprentice 60 years ago and spent five years learning the ancient art of hand tattooing as a young man.

His days of inking “yakuza” mafia members and glamorous geishas are over, and now Horihide tattoos mostly construction workers and firefighters. Though he must do his work in secret, as tattoos are held under major scrutiny in Japan.

Osaka mayor Toru Hashimoto demanded that all government employees admit to any tattoos they might have, whether concealed or visible. They must then face the decision of getting them removed or getting a new job.

Horihide, who practiced tattooing on himself while learning the trade, revealed the most common design he has done is a Japanese carp which is most associated with fisherman.

“Japanese guys take the spirit of the carp, rather than struggle against fate,” he said of the tattoo’s meaning, referring to the carp keeping fish calm once they are caught instead of making it thrash around as their fate is sealed.

Horihide currently has eight tattoo students. A handful are learning tebori, but none of them can draw their own designs yet. With Horihide as a teacher though, the future for these potential artists looks colorful.

Source: Los Angeles Times

110 Comments to “Japanese Artist Keeps Hand Tattoo Tradition Alive”

1. I needed to compose you the bit of note to finally give many thanks the moment again regarding the gorgeous tactics you have contributed here. It is remarkably open-handed with you to allow unhampered all that most people would’ve advertised for an e book to get some cash on their own, chiefly now that you might have tried it in the event you desired. These smart ideas in addition worked as a good way to be certain that some people have a similar eagerness the same as my personal own to learn a great deal more when it comes to this condition. I’m sure there are some more pleasant instances ahead for individuals that browse through your blog post.

2. Seems like you might be having a terrific summer!!! So glad you are enjoying Baltimore :)

3. website says:

Having read this I thought it was very enlightening.
    I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this content together.
    I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both
    reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it!

4. I am not sure where you’re getting your information,
    but good topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic info I was looking for this information for my mission.

5. We stumbled over here different web address and thought I might as well check things out.
    I like what I see so now i’m following you. Look forward
    to checking out your web page again.

6. I do consider all of the concepts you have introduced on your post. They are very convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too quick for newbies. May you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thanks for the post.

7. No, he thinks he’s Stalin. And if we allow him continue to keep the white household to get a 2nd phrase he will prove he is right.

8. site says:

This is my first time go to see at here and i am in fact happy to
    read all at single place.

9. webpage says:

It’s hard to come by experienced people on this topic, however, you seem like you know what you’re
    talking about! Thanks

10. fllintbox says:

It’s an awesome paragraph in support of all the online viewers; they will obtain advantage from it
    I am sure.

11. Excellent web site. Plenty of useful info here.
    I am sending it to a few pals ans additionally sharing in delicious.

And certainly, thanks for your sweat!

12. Wow that was unusual. I just wrote an really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment
    didn’t show up. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that
    over again. Anyway, just wanted to say fantastic blog!

13. Why users still use to read news papers when in this technological
    world the whole thing is accessible on net?

14. homepage says:

Do you have a spam issue on this blog; I also am a
    blogger, and I was curious about your situation; many
    of us have developed some nice procedures and we are looking to swap strategies with others, be sure to shoot me an email if interested.

15. Efficiently and that is not your idea, this item got within the little laptop bag. Any 300$ eliza kors designer purse. Babys poo is okay btw. An established top class knee, stage in condition are undoubtedly acknowledged special place cleavage lines. Such formation gala’s in reality putting on big baubles. Style a synthetic jewel aqua blue and unwanted watches necklace around your neck and overlaps each of our neck line to highlight appearance look and feel’s and your.

16. Japanese Artist Keeps Hand Tattoo Tradition Alive | Inked Magazine
    aiyrllexnko
    [url=http://www.g17lx393av83341nqtnwd9m8tx42l8a0s.org/]uiyrllexnko[/url]
    iyrllexnko http://www.g17lx393av83341nqtnwd9m8tx42l8a0s.org/

17. Thank you, I have recently been looking for information
    about this subject for a long time and yours is the greatest I have
    found out till now. But, what about the bottom line?
    Are you certain in regards to the source?

18. This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like ‘Mixview’ that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you’re listening to. Clicking on one of those will center on that item, and another set of “neighbors” will come into view, allowing you to navigate around exploring by similar artists, songs, or users. Speaking of users, the Zune “Social” is also great fun, letting you find others with shared tastes and becoming friends with them. You then can listen to a playlist created based on an amalgamation of what all your friends are listening to, which is also enjoyable. Those concerned with privacy will be relieved to know you can prevent the public from seeing your personal listening habits if you so choose.

19. Le site de l’茅cole met en garde: 芦L’ann茅e derni猫re, les enseignants 茅taient tr猫s pr茅occup茅s par la quantit茅 de temps qu’ils ont d没 passer rappelant 茅l猫ves sur le niveau de leur uniforme.

20. softer than traditional Discount Uggs Boots. Just a little thicker merino sheepskin means ‘just a little warmer’ and softer foot bed for your

21. Auerdem werden berall blhende Pflanzen hingestellt und ein paar Brunnen drfen auch nicht fehlen. Auf Bali gibt es eine sehr eigene Variante des Hinduismus und die Balinesen praktizieren ihre

22. mbt shop says:

constitute “the Danxia landform biologic lineages”, have grown the special tropical ravine rainforest, have formed the special community structure. The nominated Danxia landform area is also thede los clientes que entran una tienda de moda infantil compran siempre

23. fllintbox says:

Really when someone doesn’t understand then its up to other viewers that they
    will assist, so here it takes place.

24. es gibt menge jede Literatur der barcos diskussionspapiere und zu diesem tierbefreiungsbewegung genau Thema. dort wird ausfhrlich erklrt solche fotos warum, wie sie ihr verwendet, den Tieren und

25. web page says:

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve found It absolutely
    helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & help other
    customers like its helped me. Good job.

26. DEFINITIONS OF COMMONLY USED HCO TERMS

27. Mental health assessment tools aid psychologists and psychiatrists in assessing, diagnosing and determining treatment plans for patients. A mental health facility may.meridethhenrie4ys jimdo page