Teddy’s Bigger Burgers, a Hawaii-based burger chain in Honolulu, has been forced to close its doors after two employees posted a video of what was cooking on their grill. While the close is temporary, as of now, the videos show a rat on the grill.
Teddy’s Bigger Burgers officially announced that one of their locations was closed. The two employees were fired after the video surfaced on social media.
The president of Teddy’s Bigger Burgers, Richard Stula, is either honestly shocked, or covering up the chain’s tracks.
“We are horrified that a former teenage employee would conduct themselves in that way and make such a video of which we are investigating its authenticity,” Richard Stula said.
The video was posted on Snapchat. It shows two staff members joking as they film the rat being cooked on a grill. While it remains unclear when the video was taken, it forever will remain a disgusting grease stain on Teddy’s Bigger Burgers.
The company is consulting with its lawyers about a potential legal action against the employees who filmed the video.
Stula said, “We are horrified a former employee would create something like this trying to destroy our reputation without regard for our 20-plus years of quality and aloha.”
The company also said that a “complete sanitization” of the location has been initiated and all equipment and utensils at the restaurant will be replaced.
“We will then send a corporate team in to inspect and complete a thorough audit of the location before it is allowed to re-open,” Stulo said in the statement.
The state Department of Health is also scheduled to inspect the restaurant on Friday.
However, if this was the doings of a couple of punk employees gone “rogue”, it is less likely that they found a rat on the road and brought it in. Although utterly cringeworthy, to their credit, the restaurant must not have been rat-free to begin with.
Peter Oshiro, the state’s environmental health program manager, said the Teddy’s Bigger Burgers is contacting a licensed pest control operator to examine the restaurant for rodents.
“DOH appreciates the remedial and proactive efforts undertaken by the restaurant owner to protect public health,” Oshiro said in a statement.
Last year, the restaurant received a passing grade after an inspection.
This year, they’ll be receiving a lot of bad press.