On Sunday, March 3rd, a 4-year-old boy from Layton, Ohio was critically injured after being bitten by a neighbor's dog. The boy was attempting to play with his neighbor's two huskies through a chain link fence and his hand was covered by a sock. One of the dogs bit off his hand, amputating it from the mid-forearm down.
The boy's parents were home and they administered care on him until medics arrived. He was quickly flown in a University of Utah helicopter to the Primary Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City, where surgery was immediately performed.
On the scene, eight to 10 police officers searched the two yards, however, they were unable to find the amputated hand. Battalion Chief Jason Cook of the Layton City Fire Department assumed that the hand had been ingested by one of the dogs.
Currently, the boy is in stable condition and his injuries are being cared for at the children's hospital in Salt Lake City.
The two dogs are currently in the custody of Davis County Animal Control and according to their owner. They are being quarantined for 10 days while they are evaluated by animal control. According to Rhett Nicks, the directors of Davis County Animal Control, “There’s a severe injury to a human. So we are doing a dangerous dog investigation which could range from nothing being done up to including euthanasia.”
The owners, as well as their friends and neighbors, have reported that neither dog has a history of biting or aggressive behavior. A friend of their owner, Jessica Nusz, recently started a petition in support of the dog's lives, which has over 160,000 signatures so far.
In the petition, Nusz explains that the dog mistook the boy's hand for a toy, writing:
"Bear, who was playing with what he thought was a toy, he bit down too hard and didn't see that there was a child on the other side of the fence. With him being a dog, he thought it was a game of tug of war and he bit down too hard and took a lower portion of his arm. This situation is unfortunate on both sides."
Many people have left comments on the petition website, in addition to a donate, with one user writing: "It’s not the dog's fault that the boy's parents can’t watch after him. Parents should take responsibility for the actions of not being a parent! Save the pups!"
What do you think about this horrifying story? What do you think should happen with the dogs? Are the parents to blame? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section.