It's Just Such a Tragedy!
Although the title of this article may sound absurd and slightly humorous there is absolutely nothing funny about what happened to Karanbir Cheema during the final days of school last June.
Karanbir Cheema, known by his friends as Karan, was a popular boy with a severe allergy to dairy. He was also severely allergic to wheat, gluten, all dairy products, eggs and all nuts, as well as being asthmatic and suffering from atopic eczema.
Although the complete details of what transpired have not been released by the police. Kierin Oppatt, the first paramedic on the scene said: "The call came in at 11.40am. We arrived on the scene at 11.47am. The call came in as just an allergic reaction.
"On arrival at the scene I immediately knew it was life threatening and that the patient had a high risk of going into cardiac and respiratory arrest.
"We were told by school staff that perhaps someone had chased the patient with cheese and had proceeded to throw it down his t-shirt, that he had an allergic reaction, that he was itchy, his skin was very hot, and that he was having difficulty breathing.
"Staff had administered two spoons of Piriton, an Epipen and given him his inhaler."
At a recent inquest Oppatt, told the hearing that the 999 operator was told it was 'just an allergic reaction' but when he arrived Karan was 'gasping for air' and had broken out in hives.
In reality, the boy was already unconscious and stopped breathing shortly after the Oppatt and his partner arrived.
Mr Oppatt added: "When we arrived we saw Karan lying on his back on the floor with teachers around him. He appeared to be in a state of pre-arrest. He had very slow respiration - he was gasping for air. His skin was red and there appeared to be hives.
"I went to the vehicle and called the communications center and informed them that our patient was in cardiac and respiratory arrest. And that
I required the assistance of an advanced paramedic and additional crews at the job."
Unfortuantely, Karan went into anaphylactic shock at William Perkin Church of England High School and was unconscious throughout the time paramedics battled to save his life, St Pancras Coroners' Court was told.
Eventually, additional paramedics arrived and the unconscious Karan was taken via ambulance to Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Nine days later, on July 9th, Karan died with his parents by his hospital bed.At the inquest, it was reiterated that Karan was 'chased with cheese and had it thrown down his t-shirt'. At the time of his death, a 13-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder but has not been charged.
Speaking outside St Pancras Coroner's Court Ms Cheema, 52, said: "We want answers. I am devastated as a mother after losing my son and my family have lost their brother. He was a very, very bright young boy.
"He was so bright he could have been anything he wanted. I brought him up by myself. I trained him to read all about his condition."